Monday 11 August 2014

Book Review - All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

All Our Yesterdays

Author: Cristin Terrill

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance, Dystopia

Published: August 1 2013

Pages: 360 pages (Paperback Edition) (Bloomsbury)

Read: August 2014

Rating: 5 Stars


Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn't happened yet. 

Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture - being kept apart, overhearing each other's anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There's no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It's from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that's about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future.



I am just on a good roll with books these last few months. Every book I've picked up has been amazing!! and All Our Yesterdays is no exception to that. I loved this book. I think I read it in 2 days. Ok maybe 3 days, but that is an achievement for me!!! The funny thing is I started this book in May and after reading 15 pages I stopped reading it and put it back on my shelf. Looking back I don't know why I did that. My past self was an idiot....

Anyway, All Our Yesterday is a novel written by Cristin Terrill. It is her debut and I now love her!! This book is about a girl who has to travel back in time to change the course of the future. 

I have not read that many time travelling books, but from what I've heard it is a very difficult story to get right. Most time travelling books end up being disastrous, but that is not the case with All Our Yesterdays. In this book, the point of view changes between present day Em and Marina of the past. This is done incredibly well as both Marina and Em are completely different to each other. It is easy to tell which one is speaking. As well as that I could not predict anything that was going to happen. I love when that happens!!! Cause usually you can predict stuff but nope I was not able to predict anything, okay, I made predictions but NONE of them happened.

One fault that I found with this book was that twice the chapters were wrongly named. You see at the beginning of each chapter it said either Em or Marina. So twice it said Marina when it was really Em that was speaking. Whether this was deliberate or a mistake, I couldn't tell you. Honestly, I believe it was a mistake. What about you guys?

The characters of this book are all completely different personality wise. You have rich genius, James, poor genius, Finn, and then rich girl, Marina. These are the sole three characters of this story. There are others but these three are by far my favourite. I loved each one of these characters so much, all in a different way. It was unbelievable how much I cared for them. I was so invested in their lives to see what would happen to all of them.

I loved this book, surely you can guess that much. So there is no point in talking about what I liked. I liked everything, Okay!!

The ending was very well written. It was a full closure for this novel. There was supposed to be a sequel to this, it says so at the back of my book - Stay Tuned for the Sequel to All Our Yesterdays. But, then he author published an explanation saying that she could not write the sequel because it wasn't working. I fully understood her explanation and I believe she made the right choice. So I deleted the sequel from my books on Goodreads and the book vanished, but now there's another one saying All Our Yesterdays 2 with a full blurb....So I tried looking for what the author wrote and I couldn't find it. My question is: Is the Second Book Back On? Do any of you guys have any info on it, if so please let me know!!! Thank you!!

This book was spectacular and I would highly recommend it to everyone I come across!!

Have you guys read this, if so let me know what you thought :)

No comments:

Post a Comment