Monday 11 August 2014

Book Review - Prodigy by Marie Lu

Prodigy

(Legend #2)

Author: Marie Lu

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia

Published: January 29 2013

Pages: 356 pages (Paperback Edition) (Penguin)

Read: July 2014

Rating: 5 Stars


Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?



Prodigy is the second book in the Legend series and is the continuation of the journey of June and Day as they try to track down Day's brother and leave the Republic for good. 

Prodigy was an amazing read. I loved it just as much as I loved Legend, perhaps even more. I read Legend a while back so I can't really remember. But I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel. The story of Prodigy, is fast, intense and packed with action. It is a story of doubt, regret and trust. In Prodigy, the story is told from different point of views. Every chapter swaps from June to Day and back again. I have to admit that this was an excellent way to tell this story and only enhanced the enjoyment of the novel.

June and Day are very different characters than what they were in Legend. There is greater depth to each character and their different voices ring loud. It is easy to tell who is narrating the story at every point because their voices are so different and often in books it is rare to find it completely easy to tell who is narrating all he times as point of views change. As I said June and Day are very different. There is a lot of doubt and lack in trust in the book, especially between Day and June and with Day and June not trusting themselves. 

I quite enjoyed the way this story was executed. I enjoyed the fast pace and constant action. The fear, the doubt, the anger, the regret. All of this makes this novel unique with it's pessimistic views. But of course it isn't dull or drag in any way and the end of the book falls back slightly into the atmosphere that was in Legend. 

The ending of this book, is still running around my mind, even to this day. It is an ending that stays with you until you read the next book. It wasn't a cliffhanger but it's an ending that makes you want to dive straight into the next book. Trust me, I WANTED to dive straight into Champion. It's even sitting on my shelf. But I couldn't flipping disturb my DAMN reading plan because if you start changing one book, then another book is changed and then it is all CHAOS!!!! I can't let that happen....

For lovers of Legend, who have yet to read Prodigy. Do it. Do it now!! I regretted so much not picking this book up sooner. And why did I not pick it up sooner because I only flipping bought it in June. I had bought Champion for months before I bought Prodigy. Why I bought the third book before I bought the second is beyond me. But I've done it with The Selection now too....I have The Selection and The One, but no sign of The Elite....Please tell me you guys do that too or am I just the only freak in this world?? 

Have you guys read Prodigy? Tell me in the comments below!!! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment