Monday 11 August 2014

Book Review - Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Shadow and Bone

(The Grisha #1)

Author: Leigh Bardugo

Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy

Published: June 6 2013

Pages: 308 pages (Paperback Edition) (Indigo)

Read: July 2014

Rating: 5 Stars


The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka. Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom's magical elite - the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free? The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him. But what of Mal, Alina's childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can't she ever quite forget him? 


Shadow and Bone is the first book in the Grisha Trilogy and follows the main protagonist Alina as she battles with the realisation that she is in fact much different to what she thought she was.  


I enjoyed Shadow and Bone so much. It is officially one of the best books I've read this year. The plot revolves around Alina as she tries to find out what she is and fit in with the elite Grisha. The world building is fabulous. Yes, I used the world fabulous. I loved it. I loved the fantasy realm which was created in this novel. The story itself is intriguing to the point that it will keep you hooked from page 1. I was most certainly hooked from the start.

The characters are all relateable. Alina is an extremely likeable character as is her best friend Mal. At the beginning I didn't care much for Mal but as time goes by he becomes much more of better character. I also found this fault with Alina. At the start she was a love-sick puppy and trust most of her thoughts revealed this. This of course was annoying me, but Alina grows as a character and becomes much stronger when her life is flipped. 
The other character that really struck a cord with me was 'The Darkling'. I cannot say anything about this character in fear that I would accidentally let slip some spoilers. So, all I will say is that this guy has a piece of my heart and there is no way I can let him go. I just can't wait to see what happens with this guy. 

As I said above I love this book, and naturally I loved everything about this book. The characters, the story, the writing, the world and everything else. It was all fabulous. Even the cover is amazing!! I am so happy that I have the grey cover version of this book, I don't think I'm really gone on the new purple edition. What do you guys think of it??

Anyway my dislikes would be that the story made me feel so much!!!! That's not really a dislike by the way. I love stories that make me feel all these emotions and when I'm so connected to the characters, it's the best reading experience. But ya, I don't really have a dislike, just maybe perhaps Alina as a love-sick puppy, but I can see now how that fits perfectly into building her as a character.

The ending is so perfect for a sequel. It isn't a cliffhanger ending or anything but you just know, with all those burning questions in the back of your mind, that you just have to go on and read the next book. AND I HAVE TO READ THE NEXT BOOK!!! Maybe I'll get it for Christmas :P

As my final few words, I will say that I loved this book so darn much. I can't wait to read both Seige and Storm and Ruin and Rising. I need to know what happens to all my favourite characters and of course I would recommend this to everyone. Absolutely everyone!!! So if you haven't read this yet, please pick it up. I'm sure you won't regret it and if you do, I'm sorry :p

Tell me in the comments below if you;ve read this book orare planning to and what your thoughts were on it.

Until the next book my fellow readers!!
Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment