Thursday 30 October 2014

Book Review - Feed by Mira Grant

Feed

(The Newsflesh Trilogy  #1)

Author: Mira Grant

Genres: Horror, Zombies, Dystopia, Post Apocalyptic, Science Fiction

Published: May 1 2010

Pages: 599 pages (Mass Market Paperback Edition) (Orbit)

Read: October 2014

Rating: Stars


The year was 2014. We had cured cancer. We had beaten the common cold. But in doing so we created something new, something terrible that no one could stop.

The infection spread, virus blocks taking over bodies and minds with one, unstoppable command: FEED. Now, twenty years after the Rising, bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason are on the trail of the biggest story of their lives - the dark conspiracy behind the infected.

The truth will get out, even if it kills them.
 


I bought this book as part of a boxset possibly sometime last year. It was really cheap so I couldn't say no and besides it sounded interesting. I know it has taking me a long time to actually getting around to reading it which was a shame really but because it has 2014 in the blurb, I decided I must read this book in 2014!! So now, I am reading these books because well, 2014 is running out.

I have to admit that I was expecting to see a different story. I was expecting a horror, graphic tale with zombies on every page and literally crawling out from in between. That's not the story that I got and I am highly grateful for it. Instead this story is unique in the concept of zombie horror that it only contains zombies for a small fraction of the book. The other pieces of this book consisted of blogging, politics and a conspiracy that would leave your mind reeling.

Georgia and Shaun Mason are our two main characters here in this book and I have to say that they feel like more than just characters now that I've ended this book. They feel like real people in another timely spaced universe that I've gotten to know personally. And I love when that happens in a book!! It is what makes the story a hell of a lot more enjoyable. After all if you can't connect with your characters, what's the point. 

Georgia Mason was everything I wanted in a lead female role. She was smart, witty and even with her weaknesses she continued on. She had flaws which only made her shine more. Shaun even had flaws in his daredevil ways. They contrasted each other so greatly in personality that it was so intriguing to read about them as they both led the blog of After The End Times. 

As I said above this isn't your average survival zombie tale. This tale revolved more around the blogger's world, how it had changed greatly from how it is now and how they were considered in the public's eye. It also revolved around the campaign on a man running for President of the U.S.A. I will tell you now that I don't like politics. I haven't got an interest in it at all, literally even if someone says the word I groan, but it didn't at all effect my enjoyment of Feed. So if you think, aw no I won't read this book because of the political aspect then I suggest you to think otherwise because really it has no affect.

Throughout the novel, there were continuous twists and turns and events, some I predicted but others that took me completely by shock and I mean I was dumbfounded by some of the stories turns. The ending fitting in exactly with that other category. I was dumbfounded, shocked and overall just left in a haze. When this book finished I had that one ultimate feeling that I've only ever felt once before and that was when I was finished Clockwork Princess. I had a gaping hole and was definitely suffering a book hangover.

That was the best thing about this book....it made you think. It made you think so damn much that sometimes it hurt. It made you think of the things that you push back and never want surfaced but still it made you think. I stayed up till 1am last night to finish off Feed because I couldn't handle sleeping without finishing, I knew I'd just be constantly thinking about it. But, then I was constantly thinking about this book and my bereft feeling long into the hours of the morning - it was possibly 3am - so yes my plan of I'll finish this book and then I can sleep failed greatly. 

As you can see from my review, this book really caught me in a way that I wasn't expecting it to and I love it for that. I am eagerly awaiting the moment when I open the first page of the next book 'Deadline' which is sitting here right beside me as I read this.

All the best and I wish you all well. (P.S, pick up this book if you have it or were thinking about reading it or if you've never heard of it, check it out, you will not regret it, I hope.)
Sarah.


No comments:

Post a Comment