Saturday 6 December 2014

Book Review - The Turning by Jennifer Armintrout

The Turning

(Blood Ties  #1)

Author: Jennifer Armintrout

Genres: Adult, Fantasy, Vampire, Romance

Published: February 19 2010

Pages: 400 pages (Paperback Edition) (Mira Books)

Read: December 2014

Rating: 1 Star


I'm no coward. I want to make that perfectly clear. But after my life turned into a horror movie, I take fear a lot more seriously now. I finally became Dr. Carrie Ames just eight months ago. Then I was attacked in the hospital morgue by a vampire. Just my luck.
So now I'm a vampire, and it turns out I have a blood tie to the monster who sired me. The tie works like an invisible leash and I'm bound to him no matter what I do. And of course he's one of the most evil vampires on earth. With my sire hell-bent on turning me into a soulless killer and his sworn enemy set to exterminate me, things couldn't get much worse -- except I'm attracted to them both.
Drinking blood, living as an immortal demon and being a pawn between two warring vampire factions isn't exactly how I'd imagined my future. But as my father used to say, the only way to conquer fear is to face it. So that's what I'll do. Fangs bared.
I DNF'ED THIS BOOK AT 54% - PAGE 214
This is only the second book that I did not finish this whole year. The second book, which says something really. I usually try to finish a book as best as I can but, sometimes I just can't deal.
The blurb of The Turning suggested to me a book with a courageous heroine, who wasn't a coward and fought for what she wanted and what was right ok. It also suggests that this vampire book was going to be dark with an evil vampire and all. So when I started reading this I was highly disappointed!!
Granted, the novel was dark in a way, there were gorey scenes with blood and violence but no way was our heroine a courageous. From the very beginning I had no interest or feelings of caring for the protagonist Carrie Ames. She was a doctor, she complained about her life, she proclaimed her love for her profession and  she went on and on about how she was not a coward. Even in that first chapter I was annoyed about the demeanour of Dr. Carrie Ames. Then she goes along and does something stupid and BAM!! she's a vampire. At least there's no beating around the bush, but, damn does this girl do some serious idiotic things just in the little while I was reading this book. I won't name any of them in case I spoil anything for anyone but seriously....
The next thing that really, really, annoyed me about this character was that every second thought she had was about sex. Talk about someone who has a problem like jeez. There was a part where a guy was dying and all she was thinking about was jumping him....seriously???
So ya, major problems with the protagonist, which is hard to get past in a book. My second problem was with the storyline. I read over half the book and nothing really happened. Nothing, as far as I could tell anyway. So, the storyline did nothing for me either. 
Literally, I could rant on for ages about this book. This just wasn't for me and why I did not finish it is because every time I went to pick it up or thought about reading this book, it made me angry and well I just avoided it and I don't want to read or finish a book that makes me feel like that. In the end, again, it just wasn't the book for me and as I didn't finish this one, I won't be reading the rest in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment