Saturday 3 January 2015

Book Review - The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender by Leslye Walton

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

Author: Leslye Walton

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Magical Realism, Romance, Historical Fiction.

Published: October 2 2014

Pages: 320 pages (Paperback Edition) (Walker Books Ltd)

Read: January 2015

Rating: 5 Stars


Love makes us such fools...

Pain in love appears to be a Roux family birthright, and for Ava Lavender, a girl born with the wings of a bird, it is key to her inheritance.

Longing to fit in with her peers, Ava ventures away from home, ill-prepared for what awaits her in a world that does not know whether to view her as girl or angel. 

Ava's quest and her family's saga build to a devastating crescendo until, on the summer solstice, the skies open up, rain and feathers fill the air and Ava’s fate is revealed.

A mesmerizing, lyrical tale of longing, desire and the nature of love.

Book 1/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge


I bought this book as my reward for reading 10 books in the Project 10 Book Challenge. Why I bought this book exactly is a mystery to me. I had just been on a ban for 3 months and I then had the privilege to buy 1 book and I bought this. 
First things first, the cover reeled me in. Who wouldn't it reel in. It's a magnificent cover, simplistic yet complex and the colouring just catches the eye. In person, this book is a hell of a lot more prettier and then the spine is just the prettiest I have ever seen and that is the truth. I then went on to read the blurb which held my interest and finally I cracked and brought this book up to the counter to purchase.

I do not regret it. My judgement was correct when picking up this book and that was that I would absolutely love it. This isn't a book from my usual genres, I actually have never even heard of the genre Magical Realism but this book was just so unique and perfect.

The story is told from Ava Lavender's point of view, even though we don't see her until more than halfway through the book. Instead we see her family line and the line that inevitable led to Ava Lavender and the continuous strange sorrows that just seemed to linger around her family. 


It was intense. It was strange. It was obsence. It was entralling. It kept me hanging on every word as I wanted to learn everything I could about the life and love of Ava Lavender. Honestly, I don't even know what to write for this review. This book is something special and I'm glad I read it and I will read it again and you can be sure that I will be looking out for more of Leslye Walton's books because her writing was just beautiful. All of it was beautiful and it was a great book to start the year off!!


And that is all I can say. Would I recommend this book?? Absolutely. Try it!! Just go pick it up and give it a shot because you won't be disappointed. There should be more hype over this book really, but then again that could make it crash and burn like hypes do most of the time.... 


2 comments:

  1. Aww, this sounds like a nice prize as a reward! I thought it sounded lovely and have seen quite a few positive reviews. I love when a book is written beautifully and it seems like this is one of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is!! You should check it out when you get the time :)

      Delete