Saturday 30 May 2015

Book Review - We All Looked Up by Tommy Wallach

We All Looked Up

Author: Tommy Wallach

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Contemporary.

Published: March 26 2015

Pages: 370 pages (Paperback Edition) (Simon & Schuster UK)

Read: April 2015

Rating: 4 Stars




Before the asteroid we let ourselves be defined by labels:
The athlete, the outcast, the slacker, the overachiever. 

But then we all looked up and everything changed. 

They said it would be here in two months. That gave us two months to leave our labels behind. Two months to become something bigger than what we'd been, something that would last even after the end. 

Two months to really live.


Book 12/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge


We All Looked Up is a science fiction read about four teenagers who discover what it's like to stare death in the face as the prediction of an asteroid hitting the earth is all too evident. 

I picked up this book as an impulse buy. The buy three for the price of two offer was on and this book just piked my interest, with the fabulous cover and the blurb that held the possibility of the end of the world. To be honest I really just wanted to see how that disasterous topic would come across in this book. So it came home with me. 

The plot and story line to this book were much deeper than just an end of world scenario. It was about how people were labelled in today's society and to be honest no matter how many times people say that they don't judge and label other people, it is a constant thing seen. It was also about erasing those labels and he change people can make to themselves. Mostly though it was about how to live out your last days as best as possible. I found the story to be very interesting and I was intrigued the whole way through this book. I enjoyed the story twists and turns very much. 

I also enjoyed the characters. At first I was a little skeptical going into this book because it had four different perspectives from four very different people. But soon my fears dissipated as I realized I could connect with each character, I could easily tell them apart and I learned and cared about each persons life even though they all were drastically different. 

So overall, I liked both the characters and the plot line but I also liked the writing style. Tommy Wallach's writing was easy to read and fast to get through too. He also wrote as he thought in a way, showing characters true language barriers, even using cringe worthy lines at times, but all in the name of a character. 

One of the dislikes I had for this book was the ending. I have come across the way Tommy Wallach ended We All Looked Up in other books but somehow I don't believe this ending was right for this book. That's all I can really say without spoiling anything but for the people who have already read this you know what I mean.

In the end I enjoyed this book to give it 4 stars. I will more than likely re-read this book too, but I did wish for it to be a bit more sci-fi than it was really and possibly a bit more dark and brutal. But it was still a good book and a nice different perspective to the end of the world theme. I would recommend this book to people, especially for people who would like a light, contemporary read with little sci-fi in it. 

So if you would like to purchase this book follow the link below to head to The Book Depository!! I am an affiliate there. Please consider if you are going to buy this book by buying it using the below link. Thank you!!
http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9781471124556/?a_aid=yabookaholic123



2 comments:

  1. I have read this one myself and personally I loved it! I think Peter was my favourite character of them all and it was scary how closely he resembled my best friend in real life. There were also some other fave characters like Anita and Andy. I think I loved how realistic they all were, and the question of whether or not the asteroid would hit them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great book :) Really?? I loved both the girls. Actually I kinda loved all the characters. It was nice to see from such different perspectives. I'm so happy you enjoyed this too :)

      Delete