Monday 8 June 2015

Book Review - What's Left Of Me by Kat Zhang

What's Left Of Me

(The Hybrid Chronicles #1)

Author: Kat Zhang

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Dystopia, Fantasy.

Published: September 27 2012

Pages: 343 pages (Paperback Edition) (Harper Collins)

Read: May 2015

Rating: 3 Stars



Imagine that you have two minds, sharing one body. You and your other self are closer than twins, better than friends. You have known each other forever.

Then imagine that people like you are hated and feared. That the government want to hunt you down and tear out your second soul, separating you from the person you love most in the world.

Now meet Eva and Addie.

They don’t have to imagine.

Book 17/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge


What's Left Of Me is a science fiction / dystopian novel about a world were every person is born with two souls. As the person ages one soul disappears but sometimes this is not always the case and this is where this story began. 

I got this book, possibly a few years ago, because I was addicted to dystopia and any dystopian book I saw, I wanted and bought many on impulse because of this. But this book was not an impulse buy because I was deeply intrigued by the world that was being described to me and wanted to know more. 

So be it, I read this book and came out of it highly disappointed. The most major disappointment was the actually plot. I felt as if I had read this story before. There was no uniqueness to the plot, yes the story was unique in how people had two souls but after that the story and the events that ensued became the same as some other novels which I've read before. I couldn't help but compare the similarities and this left a taste in my mouth for the liking of this book.

The characters were the type of characters that were simply alright. I didn't connect with any of them and felt that they were quite shallow when it came to character deepness. They were also easily forgettable too and I just wasn't invested enough in them to really consider following their story through to the next two books of the series. I also really disliked the style in which Eva's speaking voice was portrayed. It annoyed the crap out of me!!

Another disappointment that I found with this book was the actually back story. There was nothing to explain why the world was the way it was. How people became to be born with two souls?. Why there was a war between people and hybrids? and many other questions of the past were not answered which I felt lacked in the strength to the world building.

Overall, I guess you can see that I was disappointed. I had high hoped walking into this book and at the immediate beginning I thought that this would be a book that I would love and invest in but it just wasn't. It wasn't for me and I'm sorry that it wasn't but such is life. 

If you would like to check out this book, click on the link below :)
http://www.bookdepository.com/book/9780007476817/?a_aid=yabookaholic123



No comments:

Post a Comment