Thursday 23 July 2015

Mini Reviews #2

Mini Reviews #1

Mini Reviews #2 is going to consist of mini reviews for:

  • The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood
  • Blood Red Road by Moira Young 

The Poison Diaries (The Poison Diaries, #1)The Poison Diaries by Maryrose Wood(The Poison Diaries #1)
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Historical Fiction.
Published: May 27 2010
Pages: 238 pages (Paperback Edition) (Harper Collins Children's Books)
Read: June 2015
Rating: 2 Stars
Book 20 / 60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge 

The Poison Diaries is a short historical fiction, fantasy novel. It revolves around a young girl who lives with her father, an apothecary and learns from him about the healing and dangerous powers of plants. Then enters a young boy, who changes the story.
I gave this book 2 stars because I didn't find it satisfying enough. I found some aspects of the book boring. I didn't like the main protagonist and found her actions to be unrealistic to say something.
There was also a very dark edge to this book (something I really don't mind) but it was the senseless, unprovoked and completely meaningless violence against animals that did get on my nerves.
So overall, a short book, one I already unhauled and won't be continuing on with the next books. 


Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)Blood Red Road by Moira Young
(Dust Lands #1)
Genres: Dystopia, Young Adult, Romance
Published: January 3 2012
Pages459 pages (Paperback Edition) (Margaret K. McElderry)
Read: June 2015
Rating: 1 Star
Book 22 / 60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Blood Red Road is a dystopian novel about a girl named Saba, whose brother gets kidnapped and she has to fight her way to get him back. I think. Truth is.... I only read about 40 pages of this book before DNFing it. I just couldn't stand reading the writing style that this book had. It started at page 1 and once I learned it continued through the whole book, I just couldn't stand the thought of reading it through. It was due to the writing style that I couldn't even get into the story or connect with the characters. I admire the way that Moira Young took this aspect of writing, but I'm afraid it just didn't suit me as a reader.
And that is the end of those two very mini reviews :)


Sorry about the format of this post!! It went crazy and no matter how much I tried to fix it I couldn't :(

No comments:

Post a Comment