Friday 14 August 2015

Book Review - Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Ashes

(Ashes Trilogy #1)

Author: Ilsa J. Bick

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Horror, Zombies. 

Published: September 29 2011

Pages: 465 pages (Paperback Edition) (Quercus UK)

Read: July 2015

Rating: 5 Stars



No, she thought. No, please, God, I'm not seeing this

Seventeen-year-old Alex is hiking through the wilderness when it happens: an earth-shattering electromagnetic pulse that destroys almost everything.

Survivors are divided between those who have developed a superhuman sense and those who have aquired a taste for human flesh. These flesh-hunters stalk the land: hungry, ruthless and increasingly clever...

Alex meets Tom, a younge army veteran, and Ellie, a lost girl. They will fight together and be torn apart, but Alex must face the most difficult question of all: 
In such a vastly changed world, who can you trust?

Book 28/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Ashes, Ashes, Ashes, how I love thee!! As many of you may have seen from my 'Best of the Bunch' post for July, this book came in second place simply because it was a reread for me and because I knew I was going to love this book anyway meant that I couldn't give it the prize.

Ashes is a post apocalyptic, dystopia, horror of a book which contains zombies. Zombies! Need I say any more. Everyone knows I love zombie books! But anyway, this book follows Alex who is stuck dead centre in the zombie apocalypse in the middle of the woods. Creepy, I know. But this book follows her as she tries to survive and find out what is going on and figure what the hell she is going to do to save herself and her little band of a group. 

The first time I read this book, I must admit that I found the second half of the book to be a drag... Why? I don't know because this time round I loved the whole book from start to finish and flipped through the pages with such severity and intensity that I had to know what was going on and ease the tension that was building in the pages. So perhaps that first time round, I had falling into a bit of a slump, because as I said this book had me on my toes from start to finish this time. I revelled in all the descriptions and details that were given. I tried to solve the conspiracies and I didn't at any time know where the story was heading.

The characters were so realistic in this novel and completely relateable, that I fell in love with them immediately. Alex was such a strong character. She was courageous, kind and brave. Ellie was a spoilt, misunderstood, grieving little girl that soon turned a leaf and became such a nice addition to Alex and Tom, who held many secrets. All the characters in this book held such a degree of depth that they instantly became real to me. Even the side characters held there own stories and everything clicked together perfectly. 

I must admit that the ending of this book was quite a shock and it did leave on a cliffhangery type ending, which just drove me to wanting to pick up the next book in the trilogy even more. Which I've done. I'm just at the beginning and cannot wait to complete this trilogy for I need to know what's happening!!

No comments:

Post a Comment