Friday 14 August 2015

Book Review - The One by Kiera Cass

The One

(The Selection #3)

Author: Kiera Cass

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Romance. 

Published: June 5 2014

Pages: 323 pages (Paperback Edition) (HarperCollins Children's Books)

Read: August 2015

Rating: 5 Stars


SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS BOOKS AHEAD!!


The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of Illéa, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice . . . and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.


Book 29/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

The One was supposed to be the final ending book to The Selection series but it was then announced that two more books would be joining the series, The Heir and Untitled (the name was not yet released) to make this a series instead of a trilogy. 

But as this book goes, I extremely enjoyed The One. Everything about this book brought back those giddy light-hearted memories of The Selection. While reading The Selection all I could think was that this book right here, even though it wasn't the most inventive, or literary genius ever to be written, it was enjoyable, fun and brought a smile to my face while I read it. This was the time that this book was labelled as my guilty pleasure. But as I continued with The Elite, I lost a bit of that love, but now finally it is back with The One. 

The One brought back those smiles, it brought back those tears and much more importantly it brought back the love and fun that I had while reading The Selection. The story itself progresses further through The Selection competition with just The Elite left and as I'm sure you all have guessed The One is chosen at the end of this book and I wonder who the hell it would have been?? Hmmm. Yes, this book held no mystery. We all knew from that very first day of reading The Selection what was going to happen in these book, the final outcome in the competition was just obvious. But still there were twists and turns and fights and everything in between laced in the pages of this book alone that just kept my interest as I was reading. And boy, all those swoony, cheesy, adoring scenes in this book just kept me light-hearted and smiling. *dreamy sigh*

America was still her unsure self throughout most of the book and she got in just as much trouble as she did in the previous ones. Like what can you expect from America Singer?? That's just who she is! But one thing I didn't expect was to understand and start a liking of both Celeste and Aspen. By the end, I was heart-broken and mending the pieces back together again with all of these characters. 

In my honest opinion The One ended this series. It ended the series, yes maybe with some unanswered questions but it finished it with a nice happy ending that could have just been left as it was. But instead we now get the fourth book which follows (SPOILERS - Maxon and America's daughter as she chooses her One through a Selection process). I am not going to be continuing on with this though. I shall not be reading The Heir or the book to follow simply because I was satisfied with what I got from the first three books and from all mixed reviews, I just don't want to taint this light, fun, enjoyable series read that I had. I must admit it would be nice to see the tables turned but I'm just not that invested in this series to continue on and do so.

In the end, this series is complete to me and it was, with no other way to put it, my guilty pleasure reads! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi There,
    Just read the last comment where you said that you wouldn't be reading the last two books in the series. I just finished The Heir, and it was just as amazing as the first book and the other two! I couldn't put it down and read it through in a few hours! I totally recommend the book! If you should change your mind - you might find you absolutely love it like I did x

    Laura

    ReplyDelete