Thursday 15 October 2015

Book Review - Shadows by Ilsa J. Bick

Shadows

(Ashes Trilogy #2)

Author: Ilsa J. Bick

Genres: Young Adult, Dystopia, Horror, Zombies. 

Published: September 27 2012

Pages: 518 pages (Paperback Edition) (Quercus)

Read: August 2015

Rating: 5 Stars


SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS BOOK AHEAD!!


Alex has escaped from Rule - but what new horrors face her in the ravaged world outside? 

Tom is safe - but what will he risk to find Alex? 

Chris - how much does he really know about the terrible darkness of Rule? And what are his true feelings for Alex? 

Ellie - where is she? 



Book 33/60 - 2015 Goodreads Reading Challenge

Shadows is the second book to the Ashes Trilogy by Ilsa J. Bick. And what a great sequel this was! As sequels go, I loved this one! It was more action packed,  more thrilling, more back story and more mysterious as well. There was so much added to the storyline of this trilogy in this book and I must admit, it has left me with a hunger to find out how it will end. 

As I mentioned above this book is a sequel so beware spoilera for the first book are going to be all of the place...

In Shadows there is a lot of switching between different points of views of characters. Alot of characters are seen in this trilogy and you really have to keep your wits about you and remember who is who and what their all about really or you could easily get lost. This wasn't seen in the first book, Ashes, so in that case this book in different. I really enjoyed this aspect of the book but I must admit that sometimes it left me flustered as a lot of chapters were left off cliffhangery and the story would then switch to someone else leaving you there grasping, aching to get back to the part of the story you were on. I believe this to be deliberate though and it really makes the book fastpaced.

As I just said above, this book is fast-paced. It is contanstly go, go, go. Between fights, surving, weather, there is not a dull moment in this book and behind all that action there is an underlying mystery that again wasn't seen in the first book. There is a lot more than just surviving in an apocalypse in this book ans I thoroughly enjoyed that aspect. 

Honestly I just cannot wait to conclude this trilogy and to just see what the hell will happen because I have no idea and that in itself is surprising for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment